Monday, April 5, 2010

"Ralph Mason's Fiddle" which he made in 1925


Recently, I was commissioned to create an oil painting for WBAA, Purdue Public Radio's Spring Fund Raiser April 8th.  This public radio station, like many others, emphasizes music of all types, but especially classical and folk, or "old time", as well as jazz.  They wanted an image that would reflect that interest so I decided to create a portrait of a particular violin which was hand made in Brookston, IN in 1925.  It was made by Ralph Mason, my husband's great grandfather and was played for many years in Indiana.  During his life, he made about sixty fiddles.  He didn't play, but his father, who was in the Civil War, did.  Although I had never painted a musical instrument before, I enjoyed it thoroughly and would be delighted to have other commissions for musical instruments in the future.
The donors to the WBAA Fund Raiser will recieve note cards with this image on them.  So they can have the opportunity to see the original oil painting,  it will be on display at the Art Museum of Greater Lafayette for the month of April and then go into WBAA's collection. I hope you'll be able to visit the Art Museum of Lafayette to see this painting which is 11" x 14" in size.  You can also read about this painting and get the address and phone for the art museum on the "EVENTS" section of my web site "home page".  www.kathrynclarkfineart.com

1 comment:

  1. Kathryn...beautiful work, nice focus on the violin and I like the treatment of the background. Congrats on the commission.

    ReplyDelete